Driving a Minibus
You can drive our minibuses on a normal drivers license! As you are hiring a Strafford self drive minibus for self drive hire purposes you will be able to drive our minibuses if you hold a car driving licence and follow certain conditions -
If the minibus is not for ‘hire or reward’
You will be able to drive a Strafford self drive minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers.
You held a driving licence before 1 January 1997
You can drive a Strafford self drive minibus in the UK and on temporary visits abroad.
When your car licence is next renewed at the age of 70, you’ll need to re-apply for your entitlement and meet higher medical standards.
You’ll need to order and complete a D2 application form and complete a D4 medical examination report. There’s also D4 guidance notes.
You obtained your driving licence after 1 January 1997
You can drive a Strafford self drive minibus within the UK as long as the following conditions apply:
- You’re 25 or older
- NOTE - 23 to 25 year old drivers. We may also be able to hire to you if you are 23 or 24 years old but this will require us contacting our insurers for final approval depending on how long you have been driving (so over 2 years would probably be essential with a clean license) with other factors they may take into consideration. For this reason if you book a minibus with us and you are under 25 but over 23 you must also call or attend our offices in good time before the start of your hire to get the insurance approved. In the event it is declined and you have not left at least 72 hours prior to the reservation to find this out then we reserve the right to apply normal cancellation policy or move the reservation to another date when you can supply a suitable driver who will clear the insurance requirements with the normal amend reservation fees applying.
- The minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
- You’ve had your driving licence for at least 2 years
- You’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
- The maximum weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes (or 4.25 tonnes including specialist equipment for disabled passengers, eg a wheelchair ramp)
- You’re not towing a trailer
- More information at https://www.gov.uk/driving-a-minibus